Sunday, December 28, 2008

Today I got the Melchizedeck Priesthood

So this morning something happened that was a pretty big deal. I was given the Melchizedek Priesthood. This gives me the authority to perform certain ordinances. I have the authority to baptize people into our church. I can give blessings to individuals- the ordinance involves laying my hands on their head and communicating with God- asking him to bestow a particular blessing on the individual.

I'm really excited to have this power- but what is important to understand is that authority only comes through humility and submission to God. All of the power comes through Him and not through me. If anything, this authority gives me the responsibility to act as His servant and His tool. I hope I'm given the opportunity to weild it to help His children.

I want to speak about something that has been very important to me in the past few months. Its a very special belief in my religion, and that is the belief that it is possible for all of God's children to actually become like Him. Our doctrine is slightly vague on this concept but I interpret it as being my opportunity to act as our Father in Heaven does someday and weild the same power that he does.

To some of you that may sound quite outlandish- let me help you understand. One of the consistent traits of fathership throughout humanity is the father's hope for his child to succeed in life. If the father fills his role, it is usually the child's hope to someday become like his or her father. I like to think that our Father in Heaven greatly wants us to succeed and wants us to progress and match Him in power. This is doctrine that can be found in a teaching that we call the Oath and the Covenant- if we use our authority worthily and act as a servant of the Lord then we will have all the Father hath- this can be found in Doctrine and Covenants section 84 verses 33-44 if you want to read it for yourself.

The reason I bring this up is because receiving and living worthily to hold the Melchizedek Priesthood is one step in eventually becoming like my Father in Heaven. God uses the Melchizedek Priesthood to do all that He does. I can only hope to do His work with this new mandate.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Your a good man. So now you can do force baptize and force heal. Jk Sac!!!